Who doesn’t love a bit of sparkle at Christmas? I do try and tell myself that I am 32 years old and that I have grown out of sparkles on my nails – but when I see a beautiful nail polish with some sparkle, I cannot resist! I’m straight back to being a 14 year old teenager again!
These beau.ti.ful colours are gorgeous! Christmas time is when anyone can get away with wearing sparkly nails. Sometimes I do the whole nails, sometimes just the ring finger, sometimes just the tips – like a sparkly french nail. I rarely use the polishes above on their own -they look so much better layered over other colours, usually dark ones.
- Accessorize Nail Illusion Polish in Molten Copper – Was £4.00 Now £1.20 http://uk.accessorize.com/ – This is a beautiful and quite unusual shade. This looks amazing over the top of a black nail polish, either all over or just on the tips. I have used this on its own and it has a lot of glitter particles in there so it actually looks pretty good! The Accessorize nail polishes are a favourite with Elsie! You can also get these on Superdrug.com.
- Accessorize Nail Illusion Polish in Emerald City – I think this has been discontinued which is a real shame … but I’ve found one that has the same name and is almost identical from Models Own (https://www.modelsownit.com/products/nails/nail-polishes.html). The colour is a bright turquoise/blue/green with heavy sparkles. It is so shimmery and such a gorgeous bold colour – perfect for bucking the trend for Christmas red/gold. Models Own nail polishes are also excellent quality and not too expensive either.
- Models Own Snowflakes – £4.99 – https://www.modelsownit.com/products/nails/wonderland-collection.html. Part of the Wonderland collection from a few years ago. The glitter is here is more angular and pointy than other polishes. It works brilliantly over another shade – I’ve used this over a dark, deep blue or black. Excellent quality and dries easily and quickly.
- Essie Stroke of Brilliance £7.99 – Boots – Marketed as a top coat, this is stuffed full of platinum blue sparkles. Again, it is gorgeous over the top of a darker colour, and I’ve used this specifically on the tips of the nails. Essie do really good glitter polishes – I think they are better than their normal polishes to be honest. And this is such a wintery, snow-like, frosty shade.
- Bobbi Brown A53 – This has been discontinued (I got it in the outlet shop in Gunwharf Quays) – but I have found almost an exact dupe in Essie Good as Gold. They are both heavily metallic shades that cover with just two coats. Another alternative is the Maybelline Colour Show Holographics Collection in Bold Gold. The Maybelline ones are under £5 in Boots.
- No7 Stay Perfect Nail Colour in Disco Nights – This was a LE at Christmas a few years ago. It is the old formula, so not the gel one that I absolutely love, but this is still gorgeous an available on Amazon for £4.25. It is a kind of pink/rose gold with gold glitter – very shimmery and beautiful on the nails.
- OPI The Living Daylights– This is another LE (sorry – I didn’t realise there were so many LE ones!) as part of the SkyFall collection in 2012 for OPI’s collaboration with James Bond. This is the only polish I bought and I absolutely LOVE it! It is a chunky glitter polish with green, gold, silver and bronze glitter pieces. It is gorgeous layered over a dark brown or black or a subtle nude. I cannot find a dupe for this – sorry! Barry M Atlantis is just as beautiful, but in different shades – more pink/green/blue. Or the Barry M Gliterati range is just as shiny and sparkly. Or any Models Own glitter polishes are beautiful – I want them all!
- Bourjois 1 Seconde Gel Polish in 39 It’s Raining Stars – I think this is discontinued too as I can’t find it anywhere even though it is quite new! Anyway – this polish is just the perfect silver glitter. This particular one isn’t suitable as a top coat – it is all or nothing with this! Or you could use it for the tips on a darker shade. It is very concentrated silver glitter – very pigmented. The formulation of these 1 Seconde Gel polishes is really really good. One coat would be enough for this, but I always do two anyway. Dupes for this include OPI Pirouette My Whistle. The Rimmel Glitter polishes are also excellent quality and cheaper than the OPI.
Other special mentions – that I haven’t photographed because I couldn’t find them (I think Elsie has squirreled them away!)…
- OPI Cosmo With A Twist – dark blue/purple fine glitter in a purple/blue polish
- Essie Fringe Factor – Purple, silver, grey longways glitter
- Essie Luxe Effects – Fashion Flares – red/burgundy/purple glitter
- Rimmel London Glittery Bomb Midnight Mistletoe – this is the perfect Christmas shade! Black base with red and green glitter. Google it – it’s really lovely and only £3.99.
- Models Own Glitter Gel in Red Carpet – £4.99 – https://www.modelsownit.com/products/nails/glittergel-collection.html. Beautiful festive, red glittery polish.
Right, I apologise for the number of discontinued and Limited Editions in this post – it is annoying when companies do that. If there is a shade you like, I’d recommend Googleing it and seeing if you can get it on a discount website or on Amazon.
I will be sporting glitter on my nails this festive season – no, 32 is not too old!