For the first time in a long time, I am shattered and want to go to sleep! Yay! Today was a big day: big appointment, emotional, upsetting, frustrating, scary, painful memories, big decisions, a bit of closure, a bit of hope and a plan. Quite a day and as a result I am exhausted – physically and mentally drained. I’m hoping for 6 hours tonight … is that too much to ask?!
Consequently, only this short post tonight, with a quick round-up of my face today: morning and evening skincare and today’s makeup – complete with waterproof mascara (which held up all day long despite being tested to the limit!). I’ve had a few comments that some of you like these posts, so I hope they are useful somehow (?)…
Firstly, skincare this morning:
My spots from yesterday have gone down (I have stopped using that Retinol night cream) – Dr Weil for Origins must have done his job properly! Love that stuff! So today we’re just back to normal/dehydrated and spot scars to deal with. And a red nose and red around my mouth – which I always have. Grr.
Elemis Pro-Radiance Cream Cleanser / Aveda Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant / Tropic Vitamin Toner Spritz / No7 Youthful Eye Serum / Hydraluron Serum / Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase / Bobbi Brown Extra Bright Advanced Moisture Cream / Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base
- I always start each day with a fresh flannel. I buy the Tesco own ones – although Primark are rumoured to be the best and cheapest. I chuck one in the trolley whenever I’m shopping so I have a massive stash – then when I’m behind with the washing I’ve still got enough. No, I don’t use muslin cloths – flannels hold the heat better and are softer (I bin them/give them to Steve for work/car/decorating when they get hard and crispy – I don’t need that much exfoliating every day!). The Elemis Cleanser is a very very thick cream and I find it to be ever so slightly drying – my skin feels a teeny bit tight afterwards and in need of moisture. Still nice though and very luxurious feeling – but not sure I’d repurchase as I love others more.
- Clarins HydraQuench is a sample size I think. I’m using this as my Hydraluron has got one or two more uses left so I’m introducing the Clarins back in to my skin slowly so it can take over when the Hydraluron finishes. I have a Hydraluron back-up, but I need to use the Clarins up first.
- The BB Extra Bright is a sample size too. I’ve just Googled it and nearly choked on my tea … £64.50! This is pricey stuff and for that price I want it to practically resurface my face and turn me into Gisele! I don’t know if I’m going to get to give it a fair go as it is only a sample size and ‘brightening’ isn’t really my issue/concern at the mo … but on the BB website this product has 11 5* reviews, so it can’t be that bad! … We’ll see. It is moisturising which is all I needed this morning.
- The BB Vitamin Face Base on the other hand, I absolutely love- we’re in Hall of Fame territory here! I mainly use this as a primer as everything sits SO nicely on it. I was using the Max Factor Primer but everything was peeling on it (very annoying and a pet hate of mine) so I’ve temporarily put that at the back of the cupboard – maybe it’s the colder weather/my drier skin/combination of products? Who knows. This is so moisturising though, and the perfect base. Well worth the money.
Listed in the order I applied:
MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW10 / NARS Creamy Concealer in Chantilly / Charlotte Tilbury Powder in 01 / Bourjois Bronzer in 51 / Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Permenent Taupe / No7 Stay Perfect Shade and Define Pencil in Glistening Ray / L’Oreal Smokissime in Brown Smoke / L’Oreal Miss Manga Mega Volume Waterproof Mascara in Black / Anastasia Clear Brow Gel / Rimmel Blush Mono in Santa Rose / Jemma Kidd Cream Highlighter / Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick in Nude Kate / Barry M Lip Gloss in Toffee
- The foundation and concealer I applied with a damp Beauty Blender.
- The Maybelline Colour Tattoo is a matte shade, applied with fingers and smudged. The L’Oreal Smokissime was then applied on to lash line and all blended together with a Zoeva fluffy brush.
- No7 Eye pencil was put in the inner corner (nearest my nose) in a > shape around the eye corner to make me appear more awake. It works!
- Miss Manga waterproof mascara did the job and stayed put all day- I’ve literally just taken it off now. I curled my eyelashes before and applied two coats. The curl and length stayed all day. This tube is almost empty and dry so a new one needs to be purchased.
- The Charlotte Tilbury lipstick is TOTALLY not my shade – it makes me look dead and isn’t very flattering at all- big shopping fail. I wanted a high-end nude lippie and made the mistake of buying this when I should have got Miss Kensington (much more pink toned and more like my natural lip colour). The ONLY way I can get this to work is to layer it with other lip products – I am not wasting it as it cost a bomb, so I’m having to work with it! It looks OK with the Barry M on top – gives it a bit of depth and I don’t look like I have rigor mortis! Win!
- The Jemma Kidd highlighter was discontinued a few years ago – much to the horror of bloggers and the world alike: her make up range was FAB! I used to use the Light As Air Foundation – and it was perfection … we’re talking Hall of Fame status here. Then they discontinued it. I rationed myself to special occasions but it finally finished this time last year 😦 This highlighter is subtle (much more natural than MAC Soft & Gentle) and just so creamy and gorgeous; I apply with fingers and pat/blend in. I’m now rationing this too!
The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil / Charlotte Tilbury Multi-Miracle Glow Cleanser (mask and balm) / Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub / Clarins Extra-Comfort Toning Lotion / Tropic Vitamin Toner Spritzer / Tropic Eye Refresh Eye Roll-On / No7 Youthful Eye Serum / Hydraluron Serum / Estee Lauder New Dimension Shape + Fill Expert Serum / Clarins Blue Orchid Treatment Oil / Caudalie Lip Conditioner (not pictured)
- God I LOVE The Body Shop Oil cleanser – it takes everything off. Definite Hall of Fame possibility here!
- The Charlotte Tilbury cleanser is purely for the second cleanse- to nourish skin and make sure every last scrap of makeup and cleansing oil is off. I spend a good 2-3 minutes massaging this around my face.
- I use the same flannel as I used this morning – after this routine it goes in the wash. New one tomorrow morning.
- The Estee Lauder serum is a sample size when I ordered loads of Christmas presents from them. I really like it but it isn’t a good base for makeup – it is too ‘wet’ – so I only use it at night. I’ve just Googled it and it is another pricey item (£62 – why do they send us nice stuff that is so damned expensive?!). I don’t mind paying money for a serum as it is the most beneficial item in the routine (with eye cream) but I’m undecided on this yet.
- Clarins Blue Orchid Oil – I’ve raved about this so many times. If you have dodgy skin you need this. It is pricey but it is SO worth it. If you have oily/combination skin, get the Lotus Oil. If you’re dry/dehydrated, get this one. Both are amazing. Again, Hall of Fame here!
Okey dokey – that’s all for tonight. I’ll only add these in when I use something different – it’ll get really boring if it is all the same all of the time!