Apologies for the lack of post – we’ve been away so I’m a bit behind where I’d planned to be.
Two weeks ago – nearly – I went on my department night out. I hadn’t seen most people for a while since everything had happened and I was as nervous as a school kid on the first day! So, I decided to use my day to focus my attention on getting ready (god only knows how I do this normally, getting in from work at 5ish and leaving at 6:30ish!!). I think I spend nigh on the whole day getting ready – longer than I spent getting ready on my wedding day! How ridiculous. Anyway – it did keep me focused and calm. Apart from the crazy red face – more on that later!
I think the end result of my day of pampering/faffing/procrastinating was OK. I felt OK. I think I looked OK. No major issues, it was good to see everyone and aside from an …ahem … interesting Secret Santa present … I had a good time. It was nice to feel like I belonged somewhere again and made me realise what a fabulous group of caring, funny, thoughtful people I work with.
Anyway, I was asked a few times during the evening what lipstick I was wearing, what foundation etc. etc. so I thought I’d do a run-through of my pampering/make up that I used. I haven’t got a photo of me with the end result – my husband does, so I’ll try and get one from his phone and upload it at some point.
I’ll keep this brief and just list the products, unless something springs to mind that I must tell you about! ( I forgot to photograph a bit of the skincare in the middle, but it is the same as usual, so I’ll just list the products).
This is where I started:
- BATH: Sanctuary Spa Luxury Bath Float / Good Things Argan Oil Body Wash / Dirty Works Buttery Salt Scrub
- SHOWER: OGX Coconut Water Shampoo / Dove Quench Absolute Intense Replenishment Mask for Wavy, Curly Hair / OGX Argan Oil & Shea Butter Conditioner
Yes, I had a bath, relaxed, lit a candle, read my book, turned in to a prune, washed, shaved, scrubbed etc. etc. Then I got out, waited about an hour, faffed about, then got in the shower. Basically, I couldn’t be arsed to stand up for ages shaving legs/scrubbing etc., so did that sitting down in the bath – and I wanted to read. I know, the water quantity for me that day was mammoth, but remember – I only wash my hair once/twice a week – so a lot less than you who do it daily! Normally, my morning showers take about 5 mins or less.
SKIN: Clarins Extra-Comfort Anti-Pollution Cleansing Cream / REN Micro Polish Cleanser (this is the scrubby one) / Glam Glow ThirstyMud Hydrating Treatment Mask / Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub / Gatineau Radiance Enhancing Gommage Mask
- I only use the REN Cleanser very lightly – with barely any pressure. It is not meant to scrub your face off!
- The GlamGlow is a new product – I left this on for the duration of my bath as it is a hydrating treatment, not a purifying mask. I like it – it was nice to remove, smelt amazing and was nice and hydrating. I’ve probably got one more use in this sample tube.
- Gatineau (from QVC fame) Gommage is awesome – I love it. You put the orange gel on dry skin and massage it around your face and keep massaging – it forces you to do a lovely facial massage. After about a minute/two minutes, it turns in to a slippery oil/liquid and it is ready to wipe clean with a warm flannel. It contains sugar acids for waking up skin and making it seem more alive. I’m almost out of this tube, but I’ll definitely repurchase.
BODY: The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter / Narciso Rodriguez Narciso Body Lotion / OPI Cosmo With A Twist nail polish
- TBS butter was for legs – thicker and more moisturising after a shave but takes much longer to sink it (which was fine for me as I spent the entire day in my dressing gown!).
- Narciso was used because I was wearing Narciso perfume and wanted longevity with the scent. I used this on arms, decolletage and back – I tend to use the nicer smelling ones nearer my nose.
HAIR: MoroccanOil / Schwarzkopf got2b Mind Blowing Fast Dry Hairspray / Schwarzkopf got2b Guardian Angel Heat Protection Spray / Schwarzkopf got2b Oil-licious Weightless Dry Oil Mist
- This is my normal hair routine – it may seem like a lot, but I only do it once, occasionally twice a week.
- This MoroccanOil is the original and the best – I’ve tried countless dupes/copies (L’Oreal, Avon, Lee Stafford, Toni & Guy etc.) and none of them come close. I apply this on the last two inches of my hair when it is wet.
- The Mind Blowing hairspray isn’t really a hairspray – it shortens the time that it takes to blow dry hair – ideal for my thick-I’m-still-here-40-minutes-later-and-my-hair-still-isn’t-bloody-dry hair… I’ve used it about four times and I have noticed a difference in drying time, so if you have thick, wiry hair, this might be worth a try.
- The Weightless Oil is gorgeous and I use at the very end, after drying, just to give a sheen and to tame any flyaways.
- As you can see, Schwarzkopf floats my boat. I’ve tried so many crap hair products (e.g. Charles Worthington – nothing I’ve tried does anything for me!) and a lot of expensive ones – but I do not think you can do much better than this budget, high-street range. I’m sticking to them from now on.
SKIN: (Ignore the Aveda Cleanser – I didn’t use that in this routine, but I did use everything else in this photo) Aveda Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant / Tropic Vitamin Toner / Hydraluron / No7 Youthful Eye Serum / Dr Weil for Origins Mega Mushroom Skin Relief / Dr Weil for Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Cream / Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base as a primer
- So at about 4pm on the afternoon, my face went mental. I’d had a bath about 9am, shower about 11am and done all my face masks etc. about 12noon and had just sprayed the Tropic Vitamin E Toner on my face to get me through the afternoon until evening routine ready to go out. My face decided that it would turn Rudolf Red – like hot, red cheeks, creeping up my chest and neck until it got to my cheeks and nose and then it stopped (how nice). I don’t know why I was surprised – this always happens to me when I am going out somewhere! I don’t know if it is anxiety, excitement or what – but it always happens and boy, is it annoying! It isn’t a reaction to products as that would have happened earlier, so who knows. This is why I decided to drag out the old faithful Dr Weil: he knows redness! The serum and cream are lovely – soothing and comforting for skin. I put the serum and cream on about 4pm and left my make up until the last minute, so they could suck up the effects.
MAKEUP: (In order of application) Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base / Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch Primer / Smashbox Primer Water / NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base / L’Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Time Resist White / Urban Decay Naked Palette – shades Virgin (far left), Sin (second left), Naked (third left), Buck (fifth left), Dark Horse (fifth right) / Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon Pencil in Bronzed Garnet / NARS Creamy Concealer in Chantilly / Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC1 / Clarins Instant Concealer in 01 Ivory / MAC Face and Body Foundation in NW10 / Laura Mercier Secret Concealer in 1 / Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder in 01 / Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow in Fair / Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner / Anastasia Clear Brow Gel / Max Factor False Lash Effect Waterproof Mascara in Black / NARS Orgasm Blush / MAC Prep & Prime Lips / MAC Ruby Woo Retro Matte Lipstick / Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Liquid Lipstick in Frambourjoise / Smashbox Primer Water
- Right, things are in a bit of a weird order in this makeup routine. This is because I really went for it on the eyes – strong, brown, smokey look with black flicked eyeliner and tons of mascara. If I’d have done my foundation first, I’d have had to have touched it up after eyes – as I packed on the product and you get some fallout. By doing it the other way around, I can clean up my face after eyes and the base just goes on easily. I only do this when I’m covering my eyes in products.
- The L’Oreal Infallible eye shadow in white is pressed (with a fingertip) in to the inner corner/tear duct of the eye to make it look more awake. It really does work.
- RE: Urban Decay palette – Virgin is the highlighter applied with a fluffy brush all over the lid and up to brow bone; Sin goes on the eye lid and a tiny bit under the bottom lash line; Naked is applied on the lid to the outer corner of the eye with a flat eye shadow brush; Buck is applied in the crease of the eye and blended blended blended with a fluffy brush; Dark Horse is applied in the outer V – a bit on the lash line on the lid, a bit on the lower lash line, a bit like this shape < on the corner of the eye; this is all blended with a fluffy brush. I then applied the Charlotte Tilbury pencil along the last line in a thick line and blended with the same brush.
- Eyeliner. Sigh. I do a consistently crap job at applying eyeliner. Consequently, when I do apply it, I end up going for the ‘grungy’ look as that is as precise as I can get it! I have really really shaky hands (or I do when it comes to eye liner!!), so where I get it, it stays. On this occasion, I was attempting a car flick – it kind of worked but only because I went in afterwards with a wet cotton bud and wiped off the excess and made the black liner in to a flick-up shape. I give up!
- I don’t normally bother with waterproof mascara – but I thought I might cry that night (I thought someone might hug me and I’d get stupidly emotional – which is possible, even with a heart of stone!). Fortunatly, I didn’t cry and whilst this mascara is amazing, it is a bugger to get off.
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage is A.MA. ZING. It saved me from red skin. If you look in the photo where it is open (bottom right corner) you’ll see the peach/yellow colours: peach for darkness and yellow for redness. OMG – I packed this on on my cheeks and around my nose and it got rid of the lot. I could have cried! I’ve had it for ages but neglected it – not any more! This is a fav. of Lisa Eldridge, make up artist to the stars, including Kate Winslet – one of my favourite people. Now I know why! I won’t be without it again.
- The lip combo worked beautifully. Stayed on all night throughout drinking and eating. I topped up once with the Bourjois, but the MAC underneath didn’t budge until I removed it.
TAKING IT ALL OFF: The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Oil / Charlotte Tilbury Cleanser / Clarins Extra-Comfort Toner / Tropic Vitamin Toner / Clarins HydraQuench Serum / Estee Lauder New Dimension Serum / Origins Eye Doctor / Origins Make a Difference Treatment Plus / Nuxe Reve de Miel
So, getting in I really didn’t want to remove my makeup, I just wanted to sleep, but with white bedding, it had to be done! All the normal stuff, except I didn’t go for an acid toner as I felt my skin had had enough masks/treatments earlier, so I went with hydration instead. Orgins Eye Doctor was a conscious choice as after trying to remove the bloody waterproof mascara, my eyes were a bit sore so needed a bit of comfort and hydration – this cream is perfect for that.
And that was it! … A good nice had by all. Lovely meal, great company, lovely bit of pampering getting ready and a full on bright red lip for Christmas. What’s not to love?